Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



May 12, 2008

Redbook profiles the Wet Spots' marriage

Redbook

In an article titled "The State of Our Unions," one of the most respected womens' magazines (circulation 2.4 million) profiles young marriage, old marriage, long-distance marriage, covenant marriage, same-sex marriage — and polyamorous marriage, right up there with the rest. "Polyamorous Marriage" is the section's title.

For this the magazine chose the Vancouver comedian couple Cass King and John Woods. They're shown in a bed looking like Mr. and Mrs. Upscale Normal (with a third male leg sticking out from under), but in real life they're The Wet Spots — a bawdy sex-positive act for whom "normal" is a gag line. Seriously, though, they discuss their marriage and its meaning to them:


...We got married five years ago because we love each other and we knew that we wanted to make a lifelong commitment to each other. But being polyamorous means that we can also express the fullness of our love and affection for our friends and lovers without restriction.

...It's funny how it's easily understood that my love for my aunties doesn't diminish my love for my mother, but it's less acceptable to say that my love for my boyfriend doesn't diminish my love for my husband. It's like somehow the sex changes everything, confers an ownership on my love and on my body. I don't believe in that. Polyamory offers us so many opportunities for emotional growth. We live as strong, fulfilled individuals, and we have more to bring to the relationship because of it. Every day we choose to be together.


The article in the June 2008 issue. Here is the poly section.

In June the article was republished on MSN Lifestyle.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Anita Wagner Illig said...

Wow, this is really terrific. Thanks to Birgitte Philippides, I had the pleasure of meeting John and Cass at Poly Pride in NYC last October. They are very talented, wonderful people who clearly speak well for our community. I just wish our society (and the FCC) were sex-positive enough to permit their witty, excellent music to air.

May 13, 2008 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home